We’ve recently made available a great book from O’Reilly Media, Cloud Native Infrastructure. Mesosphere has teamed up with O’Reilly to offer a 4-chapter excerpt as a free download.
Cloud Native Infrastructure as Transformative Technology
Today’s economy is being shaped by apps using millions of gigabytes of data to deliver unique experiences an individual at a time.
Economic growth is currently dominated by companies transforming how we live our lives with highly personalized, data-informed, real-time interactions. For the first time in recent history, seven of the ten most valuable companies in the world are Internet giants. Their success comes partly from being able to develop globally scalable application infrastructure to provide individualized experiences that support and fulfill, surprise and delight, or inform and entertain. To regain a competitive edge, most traditional enterprises I talk to want to emulate these capabilities using the same tools that power the Internet giants, but balk because they find defining the requirements needed to support those solutions hard, using the needed cloud native infrastructure.
Many of the patterns and tools developed and used by these technology companies have been democratized through open-source and cloud tools. As examples, Google designed Kubernetes using their decade-long experience with container orchestration, and Facebook built the Cassandra distributed database to provide massive backend scale. On the management side, Twitter showed the world how to improve user experience using Apache Mesos to pool and automate running containerized data-intensive applications. All of the once-closed capabilities of the Silicon Valley elite are now open source and widely available and supported. Given the right “know how,” anyone can now leverage these tools to tap into the near limitless capacity of cloud native applications.
Cloud Native Infrastructure eBook
Cloud native infrastructure is more than servers, network, and storage in the cloud—it is as much about operational hygiene as it is about elasticity and scalability. Download this book to learn the best practices, patterns, and requirements for creating infrastructure that meets your needs, capable of managing the full life cycle of cloud native applications.
Authors Justin Garrison and Kris Nova reveal hard-earned lessons on architecting infrastructure from companies such as Google, Amazon, and Netflix. They draw inspiration from projects adopted by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF), and provide examples of patterns seen in existing tools such as Kubernetes.
With this book, you will:
- Understand why cloud native infrastructure is necessary to effectively run cloud native applications
- Use guidelines to decide when—and if—your business should adopt cloud native practices
- Learn patterns for deploying and managing infrastructure and applications
- Design tests to prove that your infrastructure works as intended, even in a variety of edge cases
- Learn how to secure infrastructure with policy as code
The free download includes 4 chapters from Cloud Native Infrastructure:
- Chapter 4: Designing Infrastructure Applications. A description of current best practices in designing infrastructure applications including 4 rules for success.
- Chapter 5: Developing Infrastructure Applications. Practical guidance for designing and developing an API, adding and deprecating features.
- Chapter 6: Testing Cloud Native Infrastructure. You can’t roll out your new cloud native infrastructure into production without testing it first. Learn what to test, how to test, and how continuous monitoring helps you prevent downtime.
- Chapter 7: Managing Cloud Native Applications. A deep dive into how application design and lifecycle determines infrastructure requirements.
Mesosphere is proud to offer this excerpt, as we are focused on making it insanely easy to build and run your own cloud native infrastructure. Our platform, Mesosphere DC/OS, allows you to deploy both containers and big data services with push-button ease. DC/OS also stitches together your entire datacenter and all your cloud instances into a single set of compute resources to simplify operations and maximize efficiency.
Get your free copy of the Cloud Native Infrastructure eBook today.
Download your Free Copy
Cloud Native Infrastructure is more than servers, network, and storage in the cloud—it is as much about operational hygiene as it is about elasticity and scalability. This free eBook excerpt reveals the hard-earned lessons on architecting infrastructure from companies such as Google, Amazon, and Netflix drawing inspiration from projects adopted by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF). It also provides examples of patterns seen in existing tools such as Kubernetes.